Founder, Freelancer Portait Painter - Vartika Arts
This course predominantly introduces students to acrylic as a painting medium. It starts from the basics to educated students on the advanced methodologies of using acrylic. It begins with an introduction to color theory introducing students to the primary, secondary and complementary colors. It goes on to demonstrate to students creating transparency, opacity, intensity, or brightness by using colors. Moving on it teaches students about color contrast and attributes, such as interaction, harmony, psychology, mood. Following topics will be covered in this course-
1. How to select a photograph and prepare it for painting using basic editing tools. (30 minutes)
2. How to transfer photographs precisely onto a canvas/paper of any size using the grid method. (1 hour)
3. How to prepare skin tones in acrylic paints. (30 minutes)
4. Wet-on-wet and wet-on-dry painting methods in acrylics.
5. How to identify shadow, mid-tone, and highlight shapes, and paint accordingly to create a realistic 3-dimensional effect. (1 hour)
6. Important points to consider to bring likeness in the portrait painting and depict facial expressions accurately.
About the instructor: Having commissioned more than 70 portrait paintings so far, Vartika has art teaching experience to a variety of age groups and skill levels. Instead of copying the subject as it is, She particularly stresses applying the rules of color theory and composition to make the painting visually more attractive than the subject itself. Having experience with various mediums including watercolors, oil paints, graphite, charcoal, and pastels, her preferred medium of painting is acrylic paints, because of their versatility, water solubility, and ease of use.
This course introduces students with a various basic concepts of drawing and painting such as composition, perspective, proportions, edge types, color values and color temperatures. After completion of this course, the student will be able to draw and paint portraits accurately from photographs. With sufficient practice, the student will be able to draw portraits free-hand (without grid) from a photograph, and eventually from a live model.
Students enrolling for this course on ipassio can be rest assured that they will receive special attention from the teacher, as the class strength is limited to limited numbers. It also gives teachers the opportunity, to gauge their student's progress in-depth and make changes whenever and wherever required, ensuring that each enrolled student gets the maximum out of this course. Since this course is detailed, the participating students get the advantage of learning intricate details about this art form. The limited strength of the class also ensures that there is a strong bond between the students and their teacher clearing out any inhibitions that the student might have. The sustained guidance available from the teacher ensures that the student does not deviate from set goals or targets. Learning from a revered, experienced exponent of this art form, through the duration of this course, keeps the student inspired and motivated to achieve more.
Although having basic drawing skills is an advantage, this course is designed for complete beginners. The recommended age group to take this course is 15+. You will need the following tools for this course:
- Basic drawing tools (pencil, eraser, ruler, canvas board, or paper)
- Acrylic paint and brush set
- Digital copy of the reference photograph