per week per student
Elementary to Intermediate Classical Flute Online Lessons
This course is designed for students ages 9 to adult, providing instruction in the basics of learning to play the classical flute. Lessons will include technical basics, including posture, breath control, hand position, and technique. Every lesson is designed to meet the needs of the individual student in the elementary to intermediate range of experience.
Harpers Ferry, WV
While learning the flute ~ or any instrument ~ is a lifelong adventure, this course is designed to guide students through learning the basics of playing the classical flute. Each 45-minute lesson is designed to guide students, along with the personal practice, in learning the following:
- Technique ~ including appropriate hand position, fingering of basic mid-range notes, alignment and posture, and embochure (mouth position)
- Air/breath control ~ including breathing techniques, good posture, and tone/sound production
- Creativity ~ we will learn simple melodies, scales, and exercises that guide students in a way that is fun and age-appropriate
- Music reading ~ for students who have not yet learned to read music notation, we will include this instruction in each weekly lesson
Lessons are meant to be fun and engaging, while also guiding students in a disciplined and solid approach to learning.
About Angela Blueskies: Angela Blueskies, a graduate of Peabody Conservatory, has been teaching and performing for over thirty years, and is a creative and passionate educator. Her multi-genre career has found her in a variety of performance settings, from symphony orchestras and chamber music to off-Broadway productions, to world music and improvisation, to touring healing arts centers across North and South America offering music and sound meditation events and workshops. For many years, Angela was an artist-in-residence for both the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and Choral Arts Society of Washington, bringing music integrated programs into K – 12 classrooms. She has just released her third album, Ayni, a collection of original songs inspired by her path of music and meditation. Angela lives in the greater Washington DC area, and now teaches flute, Native American flute, and voice exclusively online.
Angela Blueskies is also seen as a medicine woman, facilitator and visionary musician who has a deepened understanding of the healing power of both music and the Earth. Angela has been playing the flute since the age of nine and was mostly self-taught until she attended high school. Angela has immersed herself in global music styles, such as African trance drumming, the music of the Himalayas, Native American flute music, traditional Celtic folk music, and ceremonial songs. Angela has performed in churches, concert halls, yoga studios, schools, temples, and in sacred ceremonies across the world. She has also released two albums: Songs of Spirit and Sound Medicine Meditations.
Students enrolling for this course on ipassio can be sure that they receive individual attention from the teacher, as the class strength is limited to 1 or 2 students. It also gives teachers the opportunity, to gauge their students progress in depth and make changes whenever and wherever required, to ensure the student gets the maximum out of this course. Since this course is detailed, students get the advantage of learning intricate details about this art form. The limited strength of the class also ensures that there is a strong bond between the students and their teacher clearing out any inhibitions that the student might have. The sustained guidance available from the teacher ensures that the student does not deviate from set goals or targets. Learning from a revered, experienced exponent of this art form, through the long duration of this course, keeps the student inspired and motivated to achieve more.
- Gain mastery in learning to play the classical flute
- Build confidence as they learn to play music on their own
- Learn and solidify music reading skills
- Enjoy learning music in a way that is experiential and fun
- Students must have a silver flute with no mechanical issues. It is possible to rent and/or purchase a basic student flute from many retailers. To rent a flute, please explore local music stores in your area. To purchase a flute, there are many online resources. Excellent student flutes are available through instrument makers such as Yamaha, Armstrong, and Gemeinhardt.
- This course is designed for students who have already learned the essential basics of posture, hand position, sound production, and breath control with a face-to-face teacher, as the first steps are best done in a hands-on approach. While not designed for brand-new beginners, many students who have already learned basics in a school or community class are welcome to sign up for this course. Adult beginners will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- For the course, students must be in a private space where they can close the door to outside distractions. Young students are welcome to have a parent sit in for the first lesson. Students are welcome to use a computer, tablet, or phone to join online lessons, and all other applications must be silenced during the lesson.
- At the beginning of enrollment, students will be asked to purchase appropriate books and learning materials. Students are asked to have a music stand and pencil in every lesson. As students continue over time, it may be necessary to purchase additional materials. Many resources of this kind can easily be purchased online, and some books are available in digital format, while others are not. Students are expected to print any digital resources so that notations may be made. While on occasion, it may be possible to share resources by email, students are expected to have original copies of all books and music for lessons. If concerns or issues arise, please notify Angela right away by email so that a solution can be found.
These sections are for individual students.
|If none of the above timings work for you, just sign up for a free session and we'll work out the timings.||Sign up for a Free Session|
|SECTION||DAY & TIME||Available|
Elementary to Intermediate Classical Flute
Mon 11:00am - 1:00pm America/New_York
Tue 11:00am - 1:00pm America/New_York
Fri 11:00am - 1:00pm America/New_York
Wed 11:00am - 1:00pm America/New_York
Thu 11:00am - 1:00pm America/New_York